Tuesday 22 November 2011

In Paradisum

This isn't strictly Latin-related - it's not really Latin poetry or prose - and I should probably warn you now: if you don't like classical music or Fauré's requiem, you should skip this post.

I'm fairly convinced this is what Heaven sounds like. I remember singing it myself not too long ago, and it brings back the best of memories. It brings back a pleasant early summer spent on the green fields, laughing with the rest of the choir and taking stupid photos in the sunlight that hurt my eyes, but I didn't care because I never wanted that day to end. It brings back our Oxford-educated director, a painfully young and refined eccentric who always took the time to crack a joke with us while shaping us into halfway-decent musicians. It brings back our in-jokes and the last of our time spent together as we learned and performed one of the most quietly beautiful pieces in existence.

OK, I'll stop ranting now and admit that that particular rendition is a little too saccharine for me. The true beauty of the piece is in the dynamics and harmonies, going from the simplicity of the soprano line at the beginning to the repetition of Jerusalem and then all over again for the second part. I guess you have to sing it live to get the full feeling.

Anyway, where was I? Oh, the Latin translation...

May the angels lead you
Into Paradise;
On your arrival, may the martyrs receive you
and lead you into the holy city
Jerusalem.
May a chorus of angels receive you
and with the formerly poor Lazarus
may you have eternal rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment