Monday 30 January 2012

Cicero and the Roman Republic

Well, I don't normally advertise things - but this is just because I've found this book particularly useful.

I'm not a particularly high-level student - I'm only doing an AS in Latin right now, though in fairness I'm a year ahead of where I'm supposed to be - but at A-Level you're supposed to read around the subject. And my set text (prose) is part of Cicero's In Verrem, specifically II.1 53-69. So, of course, lots of reading about Cicero is involved, which means raiding the local libraries for everything they're worth. Raiding the local libraries for everything they're worth means reading books - in particular books that haven't been read for decades and that are unfortunately mostly in terrible condition. That, though, is beside the point...

...What was my original point, come to think of that? Oh yes, I've been stuffing my head with Cicero and Cicero and the Roman Republic by F. R. Cowell seems to be mentioned quite frequently. It was my birthday not so long ago and I nipped down to a local second-hand bookshop to treat myself...and I found this gem. (The photo, by the way, is not my copy, but it's the same edition.)

It's essentially an old-fashioned manual for what the Roman Republic was like in Cicero's day, the part he and others played in the failing regime, and how the Republic grew and developed over hundreds of years - it's really very difficult to describe, but I suggest you go and hunt down a copy somewhere anyway. It's not always easy reading and it's quite conservative and traditional in its ways, but it's certainly a good reference for things.

I'd also recommend reading Cicero's letters and as many of his speeches as you can find. I personally can't stand his philosophical works, but then I end up disagreeing with everyone about philosophy, and I haven't read his poetry (which is apparently abysmal).

Finally, a quick word about Imperium and Lustrum, both by Robert Harris. They do decently as a very basic introduction to Cicero, but they're works of fiction - and thus must be taken with more than a pinch of salt. They're also written quite simplistically, which is great if you like that sort of thing, but I don't. It would do you no harm to miss them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment